This page is a short introduction to personal computer security.
It is by no means sufficient to guarantee safety and integrity.
Some simple advice for internet users who are not computer literate.
- Use secure passwords and keep them secret
- Keep seperate passwords for different security levels (email, web sites, secure sites, banking ...): most email passwords and web form logins are still being sent across the internet unencrypted, keep these passwords completely separate from your other, more important passwords (banking, official,..) - use a password reminder if you need to
- Keep your system up to date with your vendor patches - use the automatic update feature if it is available
- Use antivirus and firewall software
- Do not trust email attachments, never open them unless you trust their source
- Do not ever reply to any unsollicited email, no matter what the message says
- Use secure email services
- Avoid certain products which are known to be inherently insecure or badly designed (Outlook, Internet Explorer, ...)
- If you are concerned about the security and integrity of your data, use professional services like ours
If you want more security, follow on to the next level